RE: Word: can't fix strange paper size

Subject: RE: Word: can't fix strange paper size
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Hughes, Linda" <Linda -dot- Hughes -at- respironics -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 13:16:01 -0400

Linda Hughes said...

> Hi Whirlers:
>

> Yet another reason why I hate working with Word (2003). We are mainly
> Frame shop here, so I'm not a Word pro. Still, this one is just plain
> weird.
>

> When I open a new Word file, the page size shown is 7.25 x 9,
portrait.
> Not sure how it got that way. I've been to File > Page Setup >Paper,
and
> it says I'm using a standard 8.5 x 11 letter. Tried resetting to
> defaults, nothing. I also tried other page sizes, they are all
> displaying incorrectly. For example, 11 x 17 gives me a page size of
> 9.75 x 15.
>

> Any ideas why this behavior is happening and what I can do to fix it?
> All help is appreciated. Please cc me directly, as I'm on digest.

I may be incorrect, but I have a theory about this behavior, because I
noticed it when I first started using Word 2003. I _believe_ the
normal.dot in the "new improved Word" (yeah, right) is designed to show
you only the area inside the margins.

I noticed this when I first started writing drafts in Word 2003, because
the page dimensions looked odd, and my text was going right to the edge
of the page on screen. The paper size looks right in Print Preview, but
not in Page Setup mode (which used to show you the whole paper in older
versions of Word).

I've never tried to correct this, figuring it was just some goofy thing
MS decided to do with the new software (and I don't use Word for any
final documents if I can avoid it).

Depending on what the settings of your normal.dot are, this could
account for the 7.25 x 9 paper size (if margins are 1 1/8" left and
right, 1" top and bottom).

Have you tried changing the margins on your normal.dot and see if that
changes the dimensions of the page you see in Page Layout? My guess is
that it will. I'd also be curious if Print Preview shows you the correct
paper size dimensions.

Hope this helps explain the problem--I certainly don't know if it's
possible to override that setting in Page Layout mode (or how do
accomplish it if it is an option).