RE: Word: can't fix strange paper size

Subject: RE: Word: can't fix strange paper size
From: "Laurel Hickey" <lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca>
To: "'Dan Goldstein'" <DGoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:45:25 -0700

I second it on the use of custom templates and only using custom styles! And
when you create the custom styles for your custom templates, DON'T base them
on any of Word's styles including Normal. And keep your style hierarchies
simple as Word is happy to mess those up too.

I use Print Preview Mode almost exclusively as it lets me see any layout
problems as I go along. Outline view is good for collapsing the paper's
hierarchy and moving things around. Normal view -- I just find it annoying.
Personal preference of course.

For a VERY condensed look at all this, have a look at the handout for the
workshop I did at the 2005 Surrey International Writers Conference
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca/writing/index2.php... it's the second workshop on
the page. The screen shots are from a novel, but the explanation applies to
technical documents as well.

-------------------------------------
Laurel Hickey
2morrow writing & document design
lhickey -at- 2morrow -dot- bc -dot- ca
http://www.2morrow.bc.ca

Hi Linda,

Laurel's right. I would only add that the first thing about Word that you
should learn is the standard use of templates and styles. I recommend
Suzanne Barnhill's "Creating a Template: The Basics," which you can find at
http://tinyurl.com/gksg2. Its subsequent articles include a chapter on your
current bane, paper size.