RE: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions

Subject: RE: Was: Conducting Telephone...Now Interview Questions
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Diana Ost" <Diana -dot- Ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:33:06 -0400

David Loveless said...

> My favorite question? "Do you have any questions or is there anything
> else I should know?" That is often my tie-breaker question if I have
> two closely aligned and talented people. You can tell a lot about the
> person by what they want to know about you and the company.

The last interview I went to (for my current job) was one where I went
in as one of several candidates with a writing background, and not the
one with the longest history in the TW field. However, it was a series
of questions I asked the interviewers about the company, the department,
and the upcoming projects that eventually tipped the scales in my favor.
I was seriously ready for a change from my previous job, and I spent a
few hours browsing the company's website between the time I applied and
was called for a phone interview, and then studied more about the
industry before the in-person interview. When they kept me on site for
five hours that day, I had a good feeling they would offer me the
position.

It's not that I knew all the answers--it's that I knew enough to ask
questions that let them know I was interested in the company and the
industry and the path for future growth of the business. And if our
craft requires us to do anything well, it's to ask meaningful questions,
then record and report the answers effectively to our audience.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, purge it and do not disseminate or copy it.