Re: Office 2007, XPS, and PDF

Subject: Re: Office 2007, XPS, and PDF
From: "Martin Bosworth" <martinhbosworth -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 11:40:42 -0400

Here's an article from CNet News that sums up the situation fairly well:

http://news.com.com/2003-12_3-0.html?tag=nefd

I'm curious as to why Adobe is drawing the line in the sand with
Office 2007 when, as Heiner notes, full PDF integration is already a
standard feature of alternate operating systems.

Martin

On 6/5/06, Nuckols, Kenneth M <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com> wrote:

Dan Goldstein wrote...

> My understanding of the latest brou-ha-ha is that MS is dropping an
> internal "Save as PDF" option. All the myriad ways that we create PDFs
> from Office files should continue to work fine -- right?

Dan may be spot-on with the ultimate upshot of the breakdown, but the
latest news I heard on Friday was that Adobe and Microsoft have broken
off their talks in how to integrate the ability to create PDFs into the
next version of Microsoft Office. The report I heard (on a podcast from
Kiplinger, I believe) said that Microsoft was anticipating a court
filing by Adobe, but I can't recall if they were expecting Adobe to try
to force inclusion or exclusion of the PDF capability or if it was
simply a disagreement over monetary terms or some other issue.