RE: Hollow Bullets - Your Thoughts

Subject: RE: Hollow Bullets - Your Thoughts
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:02:30 -0400

David Dubin asked...

> Colleagues,
> First of all, thank you for your responses on my original enumeration
> question. I knew that I could count on both a wealth of knowledge and
> wealth of opinion, both of which I find valuable and useful.
> Another issue on which I would like your input is the use of hollow
bullet
> symbols in curriculum documentation. What do you think about the use
of
> hollow bullets and why?

In general, hollow bullets give me the connotative impression that they
are non-ordered "sub-points" to a larger point. For instance, in a
bullet list of errands, the main (filled) bullet "grocery store" might
have a list of sub-bullets (open) for "milk," "cheese," "water," and
"laundry soap."

If open bullets were used in training documentation, I would expect them
to be used in the same way. My only concern about using them in such
documents would concern their position and possible confusion (due to
font and subject matter) with a symbol for "degrees" or the numeral
"zero." As long as there's no ambiguity on these two points, I would see
no problem using them to point out sub-elements in a non-ordered list.