RE: TWs and Aptitude for OO Programming

Subject: RE: TWs and Aptitude for OO Programming
From: "Nuckols, Kenneth M" <Kenneth -dot- Nuckols -at- mybrighthouse -dot- com>
To: "Tara Charter" <tara -dot- charter -at- physiciansmutual -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:36:25 -0400

Tara Charter said...

> My company recently allowed volunteers to test aptitude for Object
> Oriented Programming. I scored in the highest tier, while most did
> not. Is this a common thread among TWs? I am now wondering if I should
> make a leap over to OO Programmer. Any suggestions? Anyone else
> who has taken the test?

I have two theories:

1. Some people just have a better aptitude for object-oriented
constructs--whether it is blocks of code or blocks of text. If you find
it natural to write easily-reusable blocks of text that you plug into
various documents (user manual, admin guide, support reference tool,
etc.) for the same product, my guess is you'd also have an aptitude for
OO programming.

2. Some writers have a lot of experience on content-management tools
that foster "text blocks." If you're used to writing in content
management tools that foster a "write it once, re-use it many times"
approach to documentation, may be used to thinking about problem solving
in a similar fashion to programmers who use OO coding.

Again, these are only theories and both may have some validity, or one
may be better than the other, or they both may be worth a steaming pile
of compost...