Re: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing?

Subject: Re: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing?
From: K Salm <kate_salm -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 04:35:03 -0700 (PDT)

Normally I just read the list, but this topic reminded
me of a professor I had in college. I wore a very
light scent, more of a body mist and not even that
frequently, and this professor was so allergic to
perfumes and scents that if I got to close to her, say
closer than three feet, she'd stuff up, start
sneezing. It was crazy. But it was also only in the
one room I had class with her in, the other room we
were in for another class was better ventilated, had
windows, etc. so she never even noticed that I ever
wore scent until we were in the smaller, less
ventilated room. And I had been in classes with this
woman once a semester for three years before we had
class in this room. So part of it could be
ventilation, if there is good ventilation odds are
that some of the effects are not noticable at all.

As for overall with the scent topic, while I liked
this professor enough to try and not wear scent around
her, if its not a matter of allergies perhaps people
should be a little understanding. Some people wear
perfume. They like to. Thats their choice. We are
not a police nation and do not and should not have the
right to tell someone we dont' want them wearing
perfume or scent just because we don't like it. It
may be obnoxious to us, but I'm sure there are plenty
of things we do that annoy them just as much. And
some people do choose to drown themselves in scent. I
have several people where I work now who do so on a
regular basis. Its annoying, but other than their
overuse of perfume they are very nice people so all of
us ignore that one particular characteristic.
Sometimes its better to just let it go, its not worth
making a stink over (excuse the pun).

http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/kate_salm%40yahoo.com

http://mail.yahoo.com