RE: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing

Subject: RE: OFF-TOPIC question about an office thing
From: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:21:46 -0400

For those of you who are suggesting people should just "suck it up" when it comes to perfumes and other scents, imagine walking into a room and almost instantly having the feeling that a 200 pound person is sitting on your chest. That was my experience when a heavily perfumed lady got on an elevator with me. It was literally suffocating. I got out and walked down the stairs. For some people, exposure to some odors can make breathing very difficult and it can be life-threatening. It is a very real problem for some and it should bear the same consideration as making buildings wheelchair accessible and having Braille on elevator keypads. Thankfully, I now live in an area with cleaner air and my lungs aren't nearly as susceptible.

Yes, there are some things people can do to alleviate their symptoms, but we all need to be considerate of other people's disabilities. And, choosing to complain because you don't want to take your allergy medicine isn't fair either. We'd all do ourselves a favor by keeping in shape to strengthen our lungs.

Tom Johnson
Technical Writer
tjohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com