Tools: "Windows Genuine Advantage"

Subject: Tools: "Windows Genuine Advantage"
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: CEL <copyediting-l -at- listserv -dot- indiana -dot- edu>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 18:49:40 -0400

For those of you struggling with recent changes to Windows XP, you might be very interested in Brian Livingston's article, provocatively entitled "Genuine Advantage is Microsoft spyware" in the June 15th issue of his Windows Secrets newsletter. The article provides a clear description of this new Microsoft addition to the Windows system software, the (many) problems that have been reported, and what you can do about it.

If you're not a subscriber: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/060615/#story1

I encourage you to subscribe. It's a great resource for Windows users, and also contains useful and regularly updated information on what Livingston considers the minimum "security baseline" for Windows computers. I find his advice clear and credible, and worth paying attention to. Best of all, the basic newsletter is free. (If I used my Windows computer more, I'd probably upgrade to the paid version of the newsletter.)

www.geoff-hart.com