RSS feed tech question

Subject: RSS feed tech question
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:52:15 -0400

Someone who knows the ins and outs of RSS may have some insight into this:

In my blog, http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/, as part of what I'm talking about is typography, I thought it would be a good idea to go the effort of using typographer's quotation marks and apostrophes, as opposed to ["] and [']. So, unless I forget, I use the html entities for those marks. I'm going to list them here for reference, but I'm going to add some internal spaces so nobody's mail reader or webmail interface has a conniption:

left double quote: & ldquo ;
right double quote: & rdquo ;
right single quote: & rsquo ;

In the blog itself (going to the above URL in a browser), everything looks dandy.

However, in the FeedBurner RSS feed, http://feeds.feedburner.com/WordsMythAmpersVirgule, the right single quote acts as a delimiter. Everything between a pair of them is dropped from the post.

Example:

In my most recent post, about Father's day, the first paragraph is:

This is all my dad[right single quote]s fault.

Then there are four more paragraphs. Then the last paragraph is:

Happy Father[right single quote]s Day, Dad!

On the FeedBurner feed, the complete text of the post is rendered as:

This is all my dads Day, Dad!

That is, it is the first paragraph up to the apostrophe and the last paragraph after the apostrophe. The rest of the post--everything between the apostrophes--has fallen into the bit bucket.

Accessing the same post through the Technorati feed (http://www.technorati.com/blogs/http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com), there's no problem with apostrophes. I reported the issue to FeedBurner as a bug; and, in the meantime, I guess I can use the straight typewriter apostrophe if I have to; but I wondered if this is somehow consistent with the RSS spec, rather than just being a software bug.

Thanks,

Dick