Re: Tools: Software for drawing chemical structures?

Subject: Re: Tools: Software for drawing chemical structures?
From: "Sandy Harris" <sandyinchina -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:13:24 +0800

Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca> wrote:

For an article I'm writing, I need to be able to generate an image of
the 3D structure of a moderately complex chemical such as a simple
protein. In fact, a sequence of half a dozen amino acids would more
than suffice. ...

Criteria: I'm looking for something free (I almost certainly won't use
it again), free of copyright entanglements, ...

Have a look at VTK, the Visualisation Toolkit. It is somewhere
between a modelling tool and a programming language for 3D
graphics. Mostly used for scientific apps. Software is open
source. There's a textbook about it that isn't, but also some
documentation that is.

http://vtk.org/

--
Sandy Harris