RE: Ensure, Assure, Insure

Subject: RE: Ensure, Assure, Insure
From: "H Arnold" <harnold103 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: royj -at- alltel -dot- net, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:30:18 -0500

Kirk wrote:

I am having a debate with a client over usage. I've looked in all the
reference sources, but I'd appreciate the options of experienced writers.
In the following sentences, which use of ensure/assure is correct?

1. The information presented also ensures that the project will be delivered
on time and within budget with a quality level that meets the requirements
for the most efficient use and management of the project

** according to Garner's, this is the correct usage -- for two reasons -- the object is nonpersonal, and the result is to make certain that things take place --
** a publisher I worked for objected to Garner's restriction of "insure" from similar contexts -- Garner restricts "insure" to financial contexts -- I've seen it interpreted more broadly
** assure takes a person/personal object -- to "assure" guests that their rooms will be comfortable

Is there a way to avoid the use of assure/ensure/insure?

rewording a bit

The presented information signals the project will be delivered on time and with a quality level that meets requirements for most efficient use and management.

-- or maybe "signals that"

HTH

-heidi