Re: file sharing

Subject: Re: file sharing
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: "R. Armstrong" <rarmstrong -at- alpha -dot- ipswitch -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:20:14 -0400

R. Armstrong wrote:
>>> They want your FTP username and passwd, which FTP
>>> conveniently transmits in cleartext. Armed with your account data
>>> they can log-in any time.
>
> I'll have to disagree...slightly.
>
> There are FTP Clients and FTP servers out there that encrypt the username
> and password when using SSL (and sometimes when not using it.) Our product
> does it, though I won't post our product name on the list.

SSLFTP, eh? Suppose you'd have to *know* that both server and
client were up for that, which is a little more than the average
user can reckon. Works if everybody's required to use your client
with your server. Still, I can see where you guys are going:
providing a secure option within the familiar (GUI) FTP-client user
experience. Plus keep the product going, in light of the SSH2
challenge. Once they go SSH, they're not coming back.

Used your client product for years, by the way. Good stuff.
Industry standard for Windows, IMO.

LQ