PDF bookmarks for LOTs, LOFs

Subject: PDF bookmarks for LOTs, LOFs
From: Vanessa Vandervalk <vanessa -dot- vandervalk -at- mitratech -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 14:20:24 -0700

Hi, we have a problem with automated bookmark generation from FrameMaker to PDF.

We provide the headings of the LOT and LOF in the Acrobat PDF setup so that they are bookmarked in the PDF. However, the additional bookmarks that result are not as helpful as they could be.

I'll use the LOT as an example. The problem is that the entries in the list (references to table captions) are being generated automatically as bookmarks underneath the heading "List of Tables." Instead of linking to the tables themselves, they are linking to the List of Tables page in the PDF. The user experience is that he/she clicks a bookmark link to a table, and the page displayed is the equivalent LOT page in the PDF, instead of the table he/she wants to view.

How do we solve this problem? I would prefer that Acrobat not try to be smart and generate the links that it finds in the LOT (or LOF, etc.). Or else, I would like it to be super smart and link directly to the tables or figures being listed.

Please feel free to scold me if the answer to my question is clearly documented by Adobe. I haven't fully researched this yet.

Vanessa Vandervalk