Re: PDF bookmarks for LOTs, LOFs

Subject: Re: PDF bookmarks for LOTs, LOFs
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: vanessa -dot- vandervalk -at- mitratech -dot- com
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:29:50 +0300

Vanessa

You wrote:

... The only reason we would include the table captions in the PDF setup
would be if they could automatically appear under the "List of Tables"
bookmark, but as you say, they don't. I haven't seen a way to make the
bookmarks do something like that. They are always in the document's order. ...

That's right -- the bookmarks created by FrameMaker reflect the document's order. Having the figure or table bookmarks nested under the headings makes them useless, as they have to be actively searched for by expanding heading items in different levels.

My FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on has a function specifically dealing with this issue -- ExtractFigureBookmarks and ExtractTableBookmarks -- operating automatically as part of the distilling process. For more info and a sample PDF produced this way, see "24 Easy Ways to Improve Your PDFs with TimeSavers/Assistants", item #5: http://www.microtype.com/improvePDF.html#5

This function is generic, and could equally handle other distinct sets of bookmarks (such as Equations).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants