Re: Bad Bosses Articles

Subject: Re: Bad Bosses Articles
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 20:54:32 -0400

I agree, Gene. Up until just over a year ago, I had a manager who was
my "facilitator". If I had a major roadblock that I could not move
myself, she would jump in and fix things for me. She was my advocate,
supporter, etc. She motivated me through respect and example. Managers
like that are few and far between, and should never be taken for
granted.

Suzette Leeming
Stouffville, Ontario

On 6/29/06, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

This is the only part of this that I take issue with. I encourage
my people to bring me their problems (work-related, that is),
and to do so before they grow into crises so I can do what
I can to clear the roadblocks that prevent them from getting
their work done. The one caveat is that nobody should ever
come to me with "here's my problem, what should I do?" but
rather, "here's my problem, here's the best solution I can
come up with, here's where I need your advice and/or
assistance." Yes, I want people to try to solve their own
problems if they can and not dump them on me to solve for
them, but they also need to know they can come to me if
they're between the rock and the hard place.

Gene Kim-Eng