Re: Coping with sub-par contractors (was: Frustrated)

Subject: Re: Coping with sub-par contractors (was: Frustrated)
From: Siliconwriter <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 19:13:11 -0700

On Jun 30, 2006, at 8:00 AM, Wroblewski, Victoria wrote:

It happens within the U.S. too; people just do not understand good,
effective technical communications and continue to settle for whatever
they can get. As long as you meet deadlines, whatever you churn out is
deemed "acceptable".

*snort* Or not. This week I overheard a sales manager, who has been here a whole week and has not actually asked me for copies of any documentation, telling another manager that the "documentation sucks". He said it in such a way as to make it clear that this is his default opinion about ALL documentation, regardless of actual merit or quality. So my latest Quick Start Guide "sucks" not because it is not 'acceptable' but because he thinks it makes him look savvy and cool to diss the technical documentation.

Funny, our *customers* have said it was just fine.

I have now put this sales manager on my review list. From now on, every single piece of documentation that goes to a customer has to be personally reviewed and signed off on by him. If the documentation really sucks, here's his golden opportunity to improve it.

Sarah
cynic