Re: Peculiar link problem in PDF.

Subject: Re: Peculiar link problem in PDF.
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: sairamprasath -at- yahoo -dot- com
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:22:04 +0300

Sairam,

You wrote:

... 1. To overcome this problem I tried the option of
unchecking the "Cross-link" checkbox in preferences.

The problem with this is, The setting is applied only
to my system and not to the file. ie., If any other
user opens the pdf then the PDF acts upon that systems
acrobat settings.

Preferences indeed apply to the computer where the PDF is viewed, but not to the PDF file itself.

2. Another method I tried was with Acrobat
Professional 7. Here, I have to select the link and
set the property "open in a new window" for each and
every link. ie., I have set this property for all 300
links. This consumes lot of time and also it is a
major problem when the parent PDF is created/modified
again. ...
Does adobe/framemaker/any other 3rd party s/w vendor
provide any special software for these type of problem?

Modifying the links so that they open the target file in a new window is indeed time consuming. Notice that even though the "new window" link property was supported in Acrobat/Reader long ago, the capability of specifying this property from within Acrobat was added only in Acrobat 6.

FrameMaker does not let you specify link properties.

My FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on provides control over all link properties, including the new window property -- for all links or on a selective basis -- so that all those links in your PDF could have the desired properties, automatically upon distilling, without having to modify the PDF further.

See http://www.microtype.com/improvePDF.html#10 ("Set specific cross-PDF links to open a new window") for more information and a sample file.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars