Re: How to get PDFs to open in new window?

Subject: Re: How to get PDFs to open in new window?
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo2 -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: deepali -at- bf -dot- umich -dot- edu
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:05:07 +0300

Deepali,

You wrote:

We have many PDFs published within our LCMS. The first PDF you open
within the Search Results doesn't have navigation buttons on top (and
it is a given that this cannot be fixed right now). Since so many of
our PDFs link to other PDFs, we want the "second" PDF (linked to from
the first PDF) to open in a new window. This seems like it should be
easy but we haven't been able to do it.

There is a local viewing preference in Acrobat or Reader that controls whether a linked PDF opens in a new window: Edit > Preferences > General -- turn off "Open cross-document links in same window" (it is turned on by default).

Preferences apply to the Acrobat/Reader copy where the PDF is viewed, but not to the PDF file itself.

You can modify the individual link properties so that it opens the target file in a new window (this link property is available within Acrobat starting with version 6).

Alternatively, you may set the following Acrobat JavaScript code, controlling this preference, as a "document open" action in your PDF file(s):
app.openInPlace=false;

This assumes that the local preference of enabling Acrobat JavaScript, on by default, is not turned off.

(If the program used to author the PDF files is FrameMaker: my FrameMaker-to-Acrobat add-on has a function that controls the "new window" property globally or individually, so that no additional actions are necessary after the PDF is created).

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com * ToolbarPlus Express for FrameMaker
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants
Template Design, Single Sourcing, FM-to-PDF & Technical Indexing seminars