RE: Colorblind Users WAS: blue link special

Subject: RE: Colorblind Users WAS: blue link special
From: "Diana Ost" <Diana -dot- Ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com>
To: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 09:14:13 -0400

David said: <snip>

"Conservative estimates (check any colorblind site for numbers) put the
number of colorblind men at 8% to 20%. I find 12% to be the most common
and, in my opinion, accurate estimate. For some of us, that might be a
few thousand people. For others, that might be millions upon millions.
As you may know, the number of color blind women is incredibly small.
This is due to genetics."

David, thank you for sharing!

My husband is color-blind too, so I know the struggles he has had
figuring out "what color" something is. We have had some interesting
arguments about what is "purple"! :-)

My first rule of documentation is: don't use red and green for
emphasis!! Second rule: don't rely on color alone to indicate
conditions; in fact, don't rely on any *one* method. I use color, sure,
but also graphics and words, tooltips, and so on.

When I worked for the VA, we used the Bobby site, which is now here:
http://webxact.watchfire.com/ to test accessibility for Websites. There
are desktop applications available also that can be used for help files.

Diana Ost
Technical Writer/Reporting Analyst
Production Administration
Market Street Mortgage Corporation
diana -dot- ost -at- msmcorp -dot- com
Phone (727) 431-7209
Fax (727) 724-9096
2650 McCormick Drive, Suite 200
Clearwater, Florida 33759

This message and any attachments may contain confidential or privileged
information and are only for the intended recipient of this message. If
you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by return
email or phone, and delete or destroy this and all copies of this
message and all attachments. Any unauthorized disclosure, use,
distribution, or reproduction of this message or any attachments is
prohibited and may be unlawful.