Re: Colorblind Users WAS: blue link special

Subject: Re: Colorblind Users WAS: blue link special
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:45:05 -0600

To answer some of the questions so far....

Joe Malin asked about underlining--I consider underlining to be
sufficient in online docs. Naturally, you can't really encounter a
link in other environments. I once worked at a place that only used
color to distinguish links and that did create some problems.

Jessica Weissman asked about the red X and green checkmark--They were
both about an inch high. The problem with those was that they were on
a gray background, and they just blended too well. A very simple
solution would have been to put a dark outline around the marks since
I at least would have been able to see the shape of the object if not
the color of the object. In fact, in the next release of that project,
we did precisely that with good results.

Diana Ost mentioned the color purple--Sigh... purple. I hear it's a
fantastic color, but I've never seen it. On an interesting note, my
wife let me pick all the colors for the living room. I still say it's
blue, although everyone always compliments our lovely green living
room.

Dave