Re: Getting into technical writng

Subject: Re: Getting into technical writng
From: "David Loveless" <daveloveless -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com, joep95 -at- comcast -dot- net
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:02:16 -0600

I'll echo what several others have said about the HR departments.

While I imagine you said that in jest, they won't laugh too hard if
they end up seeing that comment from a simple google search on your
name. Besides, every one of the HR departments I have worked with have
been staffed with intelligent and talented people who, at the very
least, were just doing their job.

As for breaking into the field... I found it to be relatively easy. Of
course, I used that tried and true and guaranteed route of networking.
My first two jobs as a technical writer I got by having the skills for
the job and knowing the person responsible for hiring. Those jobs gave
me the experience to get my third and current job off my own skills
and achievements.

But honestly, I never would have got my current (and dream) job if I
hadn't networked my way to my previous jobs. And, in a way, I
networked my way to my current job by contacting and building a
relationship with, you guess it, the HR department.

Of course, excellent portfolios, perfect resumes, good references, and
all that stuff is required (as in *not optional*). When I used to
hire, I gave my potential candidates exactly one mistake on their
resume no matter how small. I allowed for a couple in the portfolio.

But now I'm rambling....

Dave