Re: GUI Standards document?

Subject: Re: GUI Standards document?
From: "David Castro" <thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 20:41:52 -0400

On 7/12/06, I wrote:

I have been asked to create a GUI standards document for our development team. It'd
have things like what widgets we can use, how many entries should show in list
boxes, the order of the OK/Cancel/Help buttons, height of buttons in pixels, and so on.

I got many very helpful reponses, which I am now following up on. One
of the suggestions was that I search using the term "user experience"
instead of "graphical standards" or "gui standards," which is turning
up some good content that is not limited to GUI standards of other
companies (though it includes those, too).

Here is a list of the suggestions for specific GUI standards documents
(thanks to Peter, Barry, Lou, Laura, Diana, and Maggie):

http://java.sun.com/products/jlf/ed2/book/index.html
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/index.html
(and http://developer.apple.com/documentation/UserExperience/Conceptual/OSXHIGuidelines/)
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-UI-Guidelines/Contents.html
http://www.palmos.com/dev/support/docs/ui/UIGuidelinesTOC.html
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/standards/kde/style/basics/

Thanks again to everyone who helped out,

-David Castro
thejavaguy -at- gmail -dot- com