Re: Bank Holidays

Subject: Re: Bank Holidays
From: "Paul Pehrson" <paulpehrson -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 11:49:16 -0600

I can confirm that Pioneer Day is a legal state holiday in Utah (
http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE63/htm/63_0B004.htm<http://www.le.state.ut.us/%7Ecode/TITLE63/htm/63_0B004.htm>),
and is, indeed a bank holiday. The state obviously doesn't force banks
close on the day, but state employees do have the day off: (
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0002069.html ), and banks are indeed closed.

The US Federal Reserve considers the day as follows: "Pioneer Day is a
mandatory, nonstandard holiday for Utah State Warrants, and a non-mandatory,
nonstandard holiday for Utah depository institutions." Meaning, that the
holiday isn't mandatory, but most depository institutions (read: banks and
credit unions) will observe it.

This came from the following document published by the Federal Reserve:

http://www.frbservices.org/Local-Information/SanFrancisco/announcements/check/pdf_2004/0623.pdf

Hope that is of sufficient authority for your purposes. (I avoided the
Wikipedia article on the subject...<grin>)

For what its worth, my employer doesn't give us the day off. I'm taking a
vacation day in order to celebrate with the rest of my family.

Hope this helps.

Paul Pehrson
Midvale, UT

On 7/19/06, Evans, Diane L (Rosetta) <diane_evans -at- merck -dot- com> wrote:

Pioneer day: Yes. http://www.bankaf.com/about/news.cfm
Victory day: Maybe.
http://www.bos.frb.org/finsvcs/calendar/holiday2006.htm
Bennington Battle day: Maybe.