Re: Acronyms--How often do you spell them out?

Subject: Re: Acronyms--How often do you spell them out?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Darges, Katherine" <katherine -dot- darges -at- defensegp -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:36:40 -0700

When I worked on DoD docs in the 70's and 80's, the convention
we used at the time was that if the document section in question
was arranged so that it could be removed from the master doc
binder - for example, individual work instructions for components
of a larger system - we redefined the acronyms. If the document
was intended to remain a single item in use, redefinition by section
was not required.

Of course, we also wrote our documents on electric typewriters. Things may have changed since then.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Darges, Katherine" <katherine -dot- darges -at- defensegp -dot- com>

Would you re-identify the acronyms in each subsequent section as well as
adding the new ones? Or, is once really enough, based on the fact that
the readers of the document have all been involved in the project of
which the document is a record?