Re: Reviewers who don't review

Subject: Re: Reviewers who don't review
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- alltel -dot- net>
To: Siliconwriter <siliconwriter -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:35:13 -0400

Here is a suggestion from my wife, a quality engineer. She was asked
to write a monthly report for the manager of some *other* department.
The guy didn't want to do it, and my wife happened to be the most
recently hired female.

She asked a friend for advice. "Put a note in it," she was told, "a
couple of pages from the end, that offers to pay $10 to anyone who
reads it." With fear for her pocket money, my wife did so.

No one claimed the money!

She then went to the VP who had asked her manager to have her write
the report for that other lazy manager. (The VP was on the distribution
list for the report!) "Nobody's claimed the money I offered," she
said, "including you. Nobody reads this thing. I'm not writing
it again."

Some similar technique might apply for our tech-writing reviewing
problems. Does anyone have an idea how we might work this--without
going broke in the process from people who circulate "additional"
review copies and tell people, "Read page 19." ??

Siliconwriter wrote:
[All the reviewers missed a crucial item in the docs.]

Any suggestions as to a response? I am holding onto my temper with both hands, as the field reps are now blaming me for this screw-up. Am I responsible? What can I do to ensure that this does not happen in future? I should point out that Tech Support Guy is frequently off site and when he is here, is virtually always on the phone. If I stood over him to get a review, I'd have to move into his cubicle.

Sarah
disgusted