Re: How to display graphics clearly on screen and on print?

Subject: Re: How to display graphics clearly on screen and on print?
From: "T.W. Smith" <techwordsmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 17:15:41 -0400

You cannot really do what you want because you cannot control the zoom
setting in the Adobe Acrobat software used by your customer.

However, take the resolution of the image in your desktop publishing
software and divide by 96 (or 72 for older versions of Acrobat) then
multiply by 100 to get the zoom needed to view the image clearly in Acrobat.

For example, a 120 dpi image, divided by 96, multiplied by 100, tells you
that a zoom of 125% should give you the clearest image in Acrobat.

I do not know how to find out what DPI Word is using for referenced images;
in FrameMaker, the dpi setting is graphic property that you can set and
inspect.

On 8/7/06, Yvette, Denoga <Yvettedenoga -at- crimsonlogic -dot- com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm about to release a PDF manual that will have users who will print it
and also view it from their computers.

Initially, the screen captures I provided were blurry when I printed it.
So, with a bit of tweaking I got to provide better GIF screenshots in
256 colors that printed well in a PDF.

Now, the project team wants me to also ensure that when they open the
PDF in a computer screen (e.g., 15-inch screen), the screenshot should
also display well.

Currently, it doesn't display as clearly on screen as it does on print.
But since I'm no graphics expert, is there a way I can have a crisp
screen capture even on screen (at 100%)? I'm not sure if such a setting
exists.

These are the tools I use: SnagIt 8.0, Word 2003 SP2 (original doc),
Adobe Acrobat Professional 7.0.7, and PDF Maker from Word to create
PDFs.

T.

STC-Connecticut Chapter Fall Kickoff "Elis on Whitney," Hamden CT, September
30 6pm
http://www.stc-ct.org