Re: MadCap Nightmare

Subject: Re: MadCap Nightmare
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "Donald H. White" <trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:14:57 -0400

You're absolutely right in saying that everyone has an agenda, but the piece missing from the rant was the ranter never said he/she talked with MadCap about the problem. It is also interesting that other users of Flare have not experienced the same problems. I imagine a good percentage of use who are using or have used RoboHelp could provide the same rant, but our rant would include RoboHelp's notoriously poor customer service.

Al

Donald H. White wrote:

Gee, this is interesting. A fellow tech writer finds problems with a new
software application. Same person advises other tech writers of the things
she/he has found. Result: we ask the messenger what he/she has done to fix
the problems.

I thought software vendors would run their software through a QC process,
even though my experience has indicated over the years that a company's QC
"process" may be, well, less than effective. Nonetheless, if something
doesn't work, it doesn't work. I've spent a lot of my time -- more than I
should -- letting companies like Symantec, Adobe, and Dell know of problems
I've encountered. If they replied, they wanted me to fix the problem or
perform some really time- and labor-intensive effort to make their software
work.

I don't own the software. I'm only a licensee. And, the software doesn't
require a programmer to use it, supposedly. So, why can't a vendor sell and
support its products?

As for Anonymous, I believe that she/he did have an "agenda:" to let those
on this list know about his/her experience with Flare. What's the concern
over an agenda? Each of us has an agenda: pay the mortgage, wake up in the
morning, drink coffee, etc.

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang