RE: MadCap Nightmare

Subject: RE: MadCap Nightmare
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:48:59 -0600

Bill Swallow wrote:

> Flare is a 1.0 product. You can't expect there not to be bugs.
> However, have you been reporting them? And have you been
> downloading fixes? You do know that there's a bug report
> feature within Flare's UI itself, right? Also, have you
> mentioned the bugs in the user forums for Flare? Or otherwise
> have you done anything to bring the bugs to their attention
> in a constructive manner?

I agree completely with this and other criticisms of the anonymous
poster's angry rant.

That said, however, I must also note this: The rant didn't surprise me,
and I wouldn't be surprised if it was at least partly justified.

Madcap is the former RoboHelp/eHelp team, right? I used their HAT for
many years (still have my Blue Sky Software t-shirt), and in my opinion,
there's a long history/pattern of software releases that are long on new
features and short on Quality Assurance testing.

Based on my experience, I'd approach any 1.0 release from Madcap with
rather low expectations of quality and stability -- basically, I'd
assume that I'm paying them for the privilege of being a beta tester.

Richard

------
Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer