Re: problems with images in a PDF

Subject: Re: problems with images in a PDF
From: "Fiona Krycek" <fiona -dot- krycek -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Johnson, Tom" <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 10:49:36 -0400

thank you both very much !

On 8/16/06, Johnson, Tom <TJohnson -at- starcutter -dot- com> wrote:

Hi Fiona,

Dick is probably on the right track that it is a printer issue. I'd look
into what the engineer is doing to print the manual. It could be the printer
or the printer driver. It may be the difference between a PCL and a
PostScript driver.

If you said you were using wmf instead of emf, I would check with Adobe to
make sure you have the latest patch for FrameMaker. Adobe released an update
that fixes some of the weird things that were happening with wmf graphics.
Using emf mostly cleared that problem up, but I'm glad I discovered the
patch just a short time ago. Now my legacy documents will print nicely, once
again.

If you decided to convert drawings to TIFF, or any raster image, be
prepared for the possibility of longer print times for the manual. Some
printers tend to choke and puke when trying to process large raster images.

Also, keep in mind that Acrobat gives you the chance to set the
compression level on raster images. Too much compression can really mess
with your raster graphics.

Hope you solve the problem.

Tom Johnson