Re: Best Free PDF Utility for Windows ... Again?

Subject: Re: Best Free PDF Utility for Windows ... Again?
From: Lou Quillio <public -at- quillio -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:31:28 -0400

Thanks for all of these suggestions, everyone.

Amongst the free options, it seems that none have yet hit the level
of functionality I'm after -- which is awareness of MS Word's
internal link scheme and the ability to parse a Word TOC into PDF
bookmarks.

I'll be taking a look at GhostWord in the morning (thanks, Mike),
but I think it'll come up short.
(http://ghostword.sourceforge.net/)

Naturally, Acrobat can do what I want, and several other commercial
products do, too, some inexpensive. (Again, RoboPDF got the
bookmarks and most other things right, but introduced an unrelated
show-stopper.) I've used most of the cheap ones before
(http://www.quillio.com/item.php?id=101_0_1_0_M)

This is for work -- where we're disposed against proprietary
toolchains and source formats because we luckily don't need them.
*Everybody* codes and scripts, including execs and including me, and
our customers are devs, too. Yet there are some legacy documents,
and sometimes the easiest thing to do is tweak that old Word doc and
spit-out a respectable PDF, then move on.

Looks like no joy on the quick-and-dirty. It's not critical and
I'll work around it. Soon enough there'll be no more legacy cruft,
anyhow. Making sure of that.

Thanks again.

LQ