RE: FrameMaker & Index Marker Placement

Subject: RE: FrameMaker & Index Marker Placement
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 14:02:44 -0500

Hi Keith,

Unless you have so many that you fill up the marker window, you should
place only one index marker at each heading. In the marker window, use a
semicolon to separate the different entries. That keeps it cleaner.

Marker placement isn't important from FrameMaker's perspective as long
as it's on the first line of the paragraph so hyperlinks can jump to the
text prettily when you click them. However, I typically put index
markers at the very end of headings for two reasons:

- First, because cross-reference markers are automatically put at the
beginning of a line, and I don't want the two marker types to
accidentally hide each other.

- Second, because we use Header/Footer$1 and $2 markers in headings to
give us some of the header information in our "chunked" files. Those are
typically located in the middle of the heading paragraph, wherever they
happen to land. Many of the header/footer markers are conditionalized,
so I also wind up with markers that indicate hidden conditional text. It
can get a little hairy if I'm inconsistent with the placement.

Always putting index markers at the end gives me a fighting chance of
knowing if I missed an index entry for a particular heading. If I don't
see a marker at the end of a heading, I find out if that was
intentional.

Hope that helps.

Donna

- CONFIDENTIAL-
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential, and may also be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, use, copy, or distribute this message. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and then delete this email.