Tech writers: our pathetic lives

Subject: Tech writers: our pathetic lives
From: "Evans, Diane L (Rosetta)" <diane_evans -at- merck -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 13:54:50 -0400

>New theme: Let's all see if we can "out pathetic" each other on our
>anal-retentive tendencies.

My mind visibly hurts when I look at some store signs, such as
"Sandwitches." (Of course, that also brings up humorous beach pictures).

I took a picture of a store in Brooklyn just outside of Yankee Stadium. "99
Cents and Less or More." That seemed to cover the bases pretty well.

I hate signs that say $.05 cents. Once, I trying to get 1000 copies of a
flyer cheaply ("You sign says a 10th of a penny each"). The next time I
came in, the sign was corrected.

Last summer, I wrote a usability report on my serger (sewing) machine manual
for a class I took. The manual started out, "Thang you for your purchase,"
and went downhill from there.

I have sent website corrections to webmasters, and sometimes gotten a
response back.

I rented a wheelchair-accessible van a few months ago. The instructions for
picking up and returning the van were so horrible that I completely re-wrote
them and sent it back to the company for future use. For free, even.

I have yet to edit a restaurant menu, although I have heard of other people
doing so.

My husband and I have a big party every Friday night. It includes microwave
popcorn, diet soda, and a DVD player. Sometimes the cats get rowdy.

What a pathetic life I lead!

Diane Evans
Requirements Analyst
ASQ CSQE
Rosetta Inpharmatics
206-802-6560

Notice: This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains information of Merck & Co., Inc. (One Merck Drive, Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA 08889), and/or its affiliates (which may be known outside the United States as Merck Frosst, Merck Sharp & Dohme or MSD and in Japan, as Banyu) that may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and then delete it from your system.