RE: IIBA Certification

Subject: RE: IIBA Certification
From: "John Rosberg" <jrosberg -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "John Cook" <john -dot- cook -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:55:45 -0500

John

I am highly suspicious of Certification Programs -- remember Cisco and
Microsoft certs? They were far less valuable than expected, and, today,
have little value at all.

I've been hiring staffers and contractors for, ere hem, a while now, and
have never placed much stock into the concept of certifications. How do
I know that the hold of said cert has the skills I need? Did I help
write the requirements, or am I familiar enough with them for them to
have value to me?

Sadly, like degrees, certs CAN be used by some hiring chains (including
HR/Staffing) to perform primary sorting on incoming resumes -- with the
predicable results, I believe.

However, if YOU feel that Business Analysis skills will enhance your
value in the marketplace (or, more accurately, a piece of paper
purporting to support your claim to having said skills), by all means,
go for it.

I fail to see how this particular skill set is more difficult to export
(most anything can be, clearly -- it's up to each of us to prove our
worth in the market).

As always, your mileage may vary.

;-}

John Rosberg