RE: Obtaining contracts

Subject: RE: Obtaining contracts
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 14:49:11 -0400

> This sort of leads back to my original question: How do I
> get notified of
> these positions as quickly as a tier-1 recruiter?

That can't happen unless you have a contact at the company who knows about
the available position. The whole idea is to keep the company from having to
spend money on pre-interview work.

>From
> seems that it might be as simple as building up my reputation
> by calling
> these companies directly, submitting myself through my
> corporation, and then
> fulfilling the contract with stellar results.

That would work if and only if the company does not have an exclusive
contract with a specific recruiting company. Even if this is the case, it
likely has a list of pre-approved *recruiters* that it releases the position
information to, and if your corporation qualifies as one of those, then you
might be able to get on that list. If your corporation is not a recruiting
corporation, this method would not work, and your contacting them after
having been told their process would serve only to annoy them.

What Brian Gordon told you is exactly what I would say. If you know of one
or more companies at which you would like to work, seek out the
documentation manager for an informational interview (you'd have to work on
the precise approach to take, but resources are available on the Web), and
see if a relationship develops that might cause that person to consider you
for an upcoming spot or perhaps to give your name to a colleague.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com

Bonnie Granat
http://www.GranatEdit.com