RE: Consulting Fees

Subject: RE: Consulting Fees
From: "Andrea C. Carrero" <andrea -at- wordtex -dot- com>
To: <jwerfmail-techwr -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:43:32 -0400

I know of no official industry standards, although recruiting companies will
quote you what they call "market rate." (Interestingly, that "market rate"
doesn't reflect what they are charging for markup, which often is 20 to 50%
of the billing rate.)

The fastest way to come up with an hourly rate that will compensate you and
cover taxes, etc. is to divide your yearly salary by 1,000. For example, if
you make $50K per year, your hourly rate would be $50.

This is not a perfect solution--and I'm sure there are others out there who
use other methods--but this is what I use so that it covers my costs for
salary, the extra taxes I pay as a corporation plus the overhead, etc. that
I incur as a business. Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps!

~Andrea~
www.wordtex.com
Business/corporate communication and technical documentation
solutions--where individual performance contributes to team success