Frame and rendered 3D images

Subject: Frame and rendered 3D images
From: "Eric Bolton" <ERICB -at- marvin -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:37:53 -0500

Greetings from Northern Minnesota,
Let me briefly give you some background on my situation before I post
this question. I am one of three tech writers in this company. We
research, write, and compose in Word. Sometimes we even drop
illustrations in the document. We then hand the text off to
"composition" who basically reformats my document in Broadvision
Quicksilver along with frequent errors and omissions of context and
layout. I have complained about this process for the last 7 years.
Finally, finally, management is starting to soften up or at least see
the light which most of you have enjoyed for the last 20 years. They are
going to allow us to be technical writers and actually compose a
document--radical thinking I know.
We will be moving from Quicksilver to another desktop publishing
software, which and I am pushing for Framemaker. We are moving away from
2d CAD line drawings to rendered 3D images in jpeg or tiff format.
However here is my question: how well does Frame support graphics such
as jpegs, tiffs, etc. Would InDesign be a better solution?
Our documents span the range of 3-10 page installation instructions
featuring photographs or rendered drawings to 500 plus page
Architectural Detail Manuals that use IGES files of 2D CAD drawings.
Bottom line, is Frame a good solution for both in your opinion.
Thanks,

Eric Bolton
Technical Writer
Marvin Windows and Doors