RE: MS Word readability index

Subject: RE: MS Word readability index
From: "sbuckley" <sbuckley -at- onlinewriter -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:31:32 -0700

I have found this depends a great deal on audience. If your audience is
"general consumer" to anyone with specific specialized knowledge the index
probably won't help.

I did find the index helpful many years ago when writing internal
documentation for a computer system that was used by an audience whom we had
to assume was 50-80% high school educated and the students had not been
college track. Keeping the text mostly at 4-6th grade level (not kidding)
with a few specialized words produced documentation understandable by over
90% of users.