Re: Translation of on-screen menus

Subject: Re: Translation of on-screen menus
From: wanda <wanda -dot- jane -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 20:29:20 -0700

Like some of the other answers you've gotten, we minimize the screen shots we use in our manuals. When we do use screen shots, we tend to use either language-independent screen images or we blur the language elements (both to reduce the translation costs and to highlight the state we're describing). We list controls using a 3-column table with links to a glossary.
It's not just the cost of translation but of the follow-up DTP to get the language content looking good enough to use.
Wanda

--
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent.
Pierre Trudeau