Re: FWD: Cutting a Contract Short

Subject: Re: FWD: Cutting a Contract Short
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 07:21:23 -0400

Administrator wrote:

Forwarded anonymously on request:

This is from the original anonymous poster about possibly cutting a contract short. I appreciate all the people who offered their advice. I just received a call from my recruiter that the company I am contracted to is cutting my contract off as of this Friday. They say their needs have shifted to find someone with Java development experience, which I don't have and which was not mentioned when I was hired.

I would have preferred to have had more notice or been able to move to a new position when I was in a better position. I certainly would have given them more notice than they're giving me, 2 to 3 weeks minimum. Such seems to be the nature of business these days. Wish me luck.

You're lucky, at my last contract position (with the world's now second largest computer company), I was told on the way home from vacation not report to work the next morning. I was also told that the manager knew about the cuts before I went on vacation, but was told that if he said anything, his position would be cut too. Other contractors were told in an email not to report to work in the morning. I have friends who worked on the other side of the country at Intel who went to work only to find their offices packed, and a friend who worked for HP that was told via email that he was no longer employed. So, yes, ethics and compassion are no longer part of the nature of business.

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt