Hiring Discrimination

Subject: Hiring Discrimination
From: "Katie Kearns" <katie -dot- kearns -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "List,Techwriter" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:53:49 -0700

On 9/26/06, Administrator at TECHWR-L <admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com> wrote:

In a recent discussion about hiring a technical writing intern, the
hiring manager made a comment that she was more interested in resumes
from male applicants and/or older women. Why? Because they don't get
pregnant and end up on mat leave for a year. I was aghast!!

I can understand the point of view. It does affect their bottom line. I also
have a pretty low opinion of people who go into maternity leave knowing they
are going to quit when they come back. I think that's dishonest, though
legal. I can imagine some people expect to come back to stay, and end up
quitting -- having kids is a big deal and some people just don't know how
much it will rock their world.

I think everyone discriminates in some way. It's how you handle it that
counts, though. Sounds like the person you work with doesn't do anything to
try to fight her natural tendencies and be fair. Or heck, legal! But I guess
now it's easier to just not hire people, now that people get 12 weeks of
protected leave.

I understand what Anne's saying, basically. I think it's important to let
people be able to take maternity leave (my mom was always just fired for
getting pregnant!) but you have to be crazy to not see that it does hurt a
person's bottom line to have people leave for weeks or months at a time.

Disclosure: I'm on maternity leave right now. I'll be out for a total of
15-16 weeks. That's a pretty significant chunk of time for a project.

I guess what I'm saying is, while it's annoying to hear people still do this
(not hiring potentially fertile women) I can see where it's coming from.

-Katie