Re: Pop-up Window vs. Dialog Box

Subject: Re: Pop-up Window vs. Dialog Box
From: "Ed Wurster" <glassnet -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Keith Hansen" <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:20:05 -0400

On 9/26/06, Keith Hansen <KRH -at- weiland-wfg -dot- com> wrote:

The MS Manual of Style says the following: "Do not use pop-up window as
a synonym for dialog box."

The first dialog box I recall was a print dialog on Mac OS. Those
dialog boxes were modal. You had to respond, or the program would not
continue. You couldn't interact with another program, or move the
modal dialog. Now, most dialogs are non-modal. You can move them
around, and so on. Also, dialogs have a title bar, and usually contain
response buttons, like OK or Cancel. There are also window controls.

Pop-ups appear due to some user interaction, like a right-click, or a
command click, or just a click. Right click on your desktop and you'll
see a pop-up. A context menu like that is a type of pop-up.

When you move the pointer over an object and something appears
(without a click), that is a tooltip.

Well, as it happens, I have seen these two terms used interchangeably
sometimes. Can anyone clarify for me the exact difference between the
two? With examples of the proper use of each?

MS describes it here: http://tinyurl.com/ht6rx ---

The programming pop-up preceded web pop-up windows. I think many users
today would associated pop-up with a bad thing, as Gene suggests.

Ed