Re: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)

Subject: Re: Getting Per Diem (was Per Diem Question)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Richard Lewis <tech44writer -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:56:21 -0400

Richard Lewis wrote:

Good points Dick. I did not know this is the "system".
If recruiters are doofuses (plural of doofus), then they should not be the ones that demand a rate from the contractor. And I can not help but to believe that, if the recruiters are doofuses, the account managers know this and they are purposely bringing them into the loop to up-front derail a fair compensation negotiation. And if the account managers are purposely bringing in doofuses to up-front derail a fair compensation negotiation, I have my doubts as to how open they will be to restarting the whole compensation issue from scratch once I reach them.

Some agencies are better to deal with than others. Pretty much, if your antennae are quivering, you should walk quickly the other direction. One thing to keep an eye out for is multiple listings for the same job from different agencies. No, six spots did not just open up for a tech writer with between 2.5 and 2.75 years of experience in the same obscure cul-de-sac of technology. Those are just six hyenas circling the same piece of meat. If you can deduce what company actually has the opening, contact their HR department. Tell them you'll be happy to apply for the position directly or work through an agency--their call--but you'd like to know who the lead agency is, so you don't have to deal with the hyenas (except don't call them that, of course). Otherwise, by trial and error you will eventually figure out which agencies you never want to speak with again.