RE: "Addy and other slang" (was If you don't want people to knowyour age...)

Subject: RE: "Addy and other slang" (was If you don't want people to knowyour age...)
From: "Dubin, David" <David -dot- Dubin -at- sage -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 15:04:13 -0000

Dory Green wrote, "Most American writers speak two English languages
(informal and formal), write at least six. . ."
Based on my experience, I would have to disagree with the basic premise
that most American writers speak two ENGLISH languages. I believe that
most American writers speak three to four AMERICAN languages. The
American language is quite different than English. For example, where in
the US would one hear the following statement? "I was on the motorway
when a stone flew off the tire of a lorry carrying bangers and crisps.
It first hit my wing, then my windscreen. I had to pull over to a call
box for assistance. That really put my knickers in a twist because I was
late for my appointment with my estate agent."

In addition to the formal and informal American languages Dori noted, we
all speak a regional patois or dialect and we also speak the jargon of
our profession. All these four languages can be spoken independently of
each other, however they most often come together in combinations. For
example, I am a Southerner and I will speak differently to a family
member who is not familiar with my professional jargon than I will with
a work colleague who understands the jargon and who is also from the
South. On the other hand, if I speak with a work colleague from the
North or from California, I attempt to leave the dialectal elements out
of my speech patterns to ensure understandability. For some strange
reason, Northerners and Californians cannot distinguish the words "oil"
and "all", "fire" and "for", and "tire" and "tar" when most Southerners
speak. ;^}}

David B. Dubin
Senior Curriculum Developer
Sage Software