Re: Screen Captures with Stamps and Shadows

Subject: Re: Screen Captures with Stamps and Shadows
From: linda_sims -at- vanguard -dot- com
To: "Roger Bell" <RBell -at- vcgsoftware -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 13:28:52 -0400

I've found the "ragged edge" tear effect to be useful when I want to show
just PART of a screen or page. I've yet to have a complaint from users. At
my current gig, a number of users have said they liked the visual cue that
the graphic wasn't showing the entire screen, just the part being talked
about. I wouldn't use that effect for a graphic showing a whole window,
diagram, or screen, though. Nor would I use add drop shadows to a graphic,
as I find that it clutters the screen.

My thought is that if the effect conveys useful information, it's valid to
use it. I'm not sure I'd change my mind on that if I only had one user
complaining about it, but as always, the real answers are "it depends" and
"know your audience".

Lin Sims
The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion
of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was
accessed.

"Roger Bell" <RBell -at- vcgsoftware -dot- com>
Sent by: techwr-l-bounces+linda_sims=vanguard -dot- com -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
10/05/2006 12:52 PM

cc

Subject
Screen Captures with Stamps and Shadows

Has anyone given much thought, completed any research, conducted
usability tests, or adopted a standard regarding applying stamps, such
as a tear effect, and shadows to screen captures in technical
documentation?

My company is considering using a tear effect and shadow in the PDF
documentation for a new software product. After creating some examples
and passing them around for input, one person in our company commented
that the tear effect suggested anger or frustration to him and that it
may have the same effect on our customers. I had never considered that
reaction.

In looking at most software documentation, it appears that rectangles
and squares without shadows or stamps are most commonly used. As a user,
would it make a difference to you? Since stamps and shadows add no
useful information to the user, we were going for the "way cool" effect.
;-)

Should we stick with the pack or venture to new territory? I'm wanting
more real-world experience than conjecture. Thanks in advance for all
input.

Regards,
Roger Bell
Technical Writer
770.246.2300 x 2366
VCG, Inc.
The power to succeed.
www.vcgsoftware.com <http://www.vcgsoftware.com/>
1805 Old Alabama Road, Suite 250, Roswell, GA 30076

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you receive
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from
any computer.

Easily create HTML or Microsoft Word content and convert to any popular
Help file format or printed documentation. Learn more at
http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as linda_sims -at- vanguard -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/linda_sims%40vanguard.com

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT. The information contained in this e-mail message, including attachments, is the confidential information of, and/or is the property of, Vanguard. The information is intended for use solely by the individual or entity named in the message. If you are not an intended recipient or you received this in error, then any review, printing, copying, or distribution of any such information is prohibited, and please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this e-mail from your system.