Re: Telecommuting Job Search

Subject: Re: Telecommuting Job Search
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Jessica Desautels" <librababy_13 -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 19:01:37 -0700

I wouldn't say that getting a telecommuting job when you are new to the field
is impossible, but it's pretty darn close. Most telecommuters are either people
who have worked in-office for their employers for some period and established
themselves with the company or independent contractors, who will have
established themselves to an even greater extent within the field by running
their own businesses.

The place to begin for a newcomer would most likely be to secure a position
in-office for a company that has a policy of allowing telecommuting, then
work to meet whatever criteria the company has for allowing its employees
to do it. Expect to work in-office until you do.

Gene Kim-Eng

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jessica Desautels" <librababy_13 -at- yahoo -dot- com>

I am new to the technical writing field and am interested in finding a job as a telecommuter. I have been told by my peers that this list was a great way to ask questions about the field. I would appreciate any feedback from those of you who have experience as a telecommuter. Where do I begin?