Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)

Subject: Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 07:56:55 -0400

Martha Rogers wrote:

I really think I'd like this job; I'd at least like to get an
interview. The position no longer shows up on Dice.com. The company's
employment page lists the same undated positions as when I first
visited over three weeks ago. I haven't had to look for work in 12
and a half years. The whole job search process is oppressive to me.
Frankly, I'm not very good at it. Would you call the POC? Or do
*anything* to follow up?

The only feedback I have ever gotten from a job I applied to on Dice.com was for a one-year contract position with the world's largest computer company, only to find that they hire people on for three months, then cancel the contract with as little as one day warning.

However, I also found that virtually 90 percent of the cover letters/resumes I submitted via Dice or Monster were never acknowledged. You can call to find out if the position is still open, but it probably isn't. Corporate websites are notorious for not being current, especially when it comes to "career opportunities." Your best bet is to find the job in Dice, then go to the company website and submit it directly to them. You still may not get the job, but most company websites at least have an autoresponder saying they got your material. With that said, I've had a lot more luck pursuing work directly from companies. In fact, I'm working on two contracts right now that way. Neither of them were posted on either the corporate website or on Dice or Monster.

Al

--

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Online Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design, Award Winning Videos, Professional Photography

Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

See also:

"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer "Present" or "Not guilty.""
Theodore Roosevelt