Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)

Subject: Re: No job response -- what would you do? (long)
From: Joe Malin <jmalin -at- jmalin -dot- com>
To: Barry Campbell <barry -dot- campbell -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:43:31 -0700

This is a good idea. Make sure that your writing samples are very
secure. I prefer to present my samples *in person* to interested parties
and *not* provide copies. This helps me strictly control who seems them.
I am concerned that people may unthinkingly pass my work around, which
would allow someone to copy it. Not only is that unfair to me, it
violates copyrights on the work that I produced for other companies.

I just finished work as an API/developer tech writer for a small
startup. The documentation I wrote shows their technology and by
inference their strategic direction and market advantages. I have been
working with them to make samples they feel comfortable releasing to the
"world". Everyone should keep these issue in mind when preparing a
portfolio and distributing samples.

I found that my managers were very cooperative and willing to work hard
with me to agree on material they felt comfortable with. I will make it
clear to prospective employers that the material is sensitive and should
be treated with discretion. I think this is fair, *and* it demonstrates
that I understand the business, play within the "team", and show good
judgment.

Stories wander about the ether about companies that ask you to write
something for them. I would only do this if I was allowed to retain the
copyright.

Joe