RE: PDF maker recommendations needed

Subject: RE: PDF maker recommendations needed
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:57:57 -0400

Haven't used it much yet (and have not tried to convert from PDF to Word),
but I am liking my Nitro PDF very much. Less than $100, and so intuitive
that I am just now discovering that my IT tech must have taken the book and
box with her.

I've been creating my docs in Word, then posting the converted PDFs in a
restricted-access folder. Anybody with access to that folder can print and
suggest or request revisions, but they can't get at the originals. The
whole folder can be posted at our intranet at any time.

I converted more than 200 documents in less than two hours and they are all
perfect.

Much better than the old method a generation ago, in which I kept a
long-handled barbecue fork for stabbing the hand of anybody who tried to
help themselves to masters during the brief periods in which the cabinet was
unlocked. I was much more controlling and A-Type back then. Computers have
mellowed me. ("Thank all of the gods and goddesses" wafts gently from the
next room.....)

Of course we could have set read/write restrictions, but it was getting very
messy ("Why does he have access and I don't?" -- answer, he's my direct boss
and asked for it, and you aren't and didn't). Now that everybody has equal
access to the PDF files, everybody is happy. I am still a Mama Bear about
document security, but now I can be a more cuddly one. Everybody wins.

Of course the document conversion step adds a bit to my workload. For all
of the technical and interpersonal difficulties that have just gone away
since I added this step, it's well worth it. This would not have been the
case if the Nitro PDF conversion program was not so simple, fast, and
accurate. Count me as one very satisfied customer.

Dori Green
Technical Writer, QMS Project
Associated Brands, Inc.