Re: Conferences

Subject: Re: Conferences
From: "Bill Swallow" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Robotti, Anne (Carlin)" <ARobotti -at- carlingroup -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:25:27 -0400

> For non-management topics, WritersUA. For management topics, LavaCon.

John, is there seriously a chance they'd send you to a conference in
Hawaii?

If you're not management or leading a large team or not spearheading a
CMS endeavor, then I'd say this is not a likely candidate. But, from
what I have heard from those who have gone, this is well worth the
money. Really, it all comes down to what you do with the knowledge you
gain. If you're not going to apply the knowledge at work immediately
or in the near future, then there is little value in sending someone
to a conference, regardless of location.

If management is only looking at the location, change the focus to the
information. If it's info you are starving for, and you can make a
case for solid ROI, then location is moot. Unless your manager is
utterly incompetent, or if you are incompetent at conveying this to a
reasonable manager, or if it blows the budget out of the water
completely, then I'd say you have a good shot at going.

The location is indeed desirable, but IMHO, the content is more desirable.

--
Bill Swallow
Senior Member STC, TechValley Chapter